Thursday, January 10, 2013

Polar Bear Fun!

We have learned all about Polar Bears this week! :) We started out learning a lot of facts about Polar Bears by making a "Can, Have, Are" Tree Map and then filling in a mini-book.  Wednesday, we talked about how big the Polar Bear's paw is.  My Kinders were amazed by the size (and so was I!)  We made these cute paws!

Here's how to do it.


Give students a 12 x 18 sheet of white construction paper, bulletin board paper, or chart paper. (I used bulletin board paper.)  Have them ball the paper up, straighten it out and ball it up some more.  Expect squeals of excitement because when do we ever allow them to do that? 


Once the paper is straightened out, carefully tear the sides of the paper off to make an oval shape.



Give students black paper and have them cut out paw pads and claws.


Glue paw pads on the front and claws on the back.


Admire your hard work! Didn't they turn out amazing?


We made a circle map yesterday and did a little fact writing yesterday and today.

Today we learned about blubber and how it kept the Polar Bears warm and we did the "Blubber Glove" experiment.

Here's what you need:

And here are some pics of my sweet children doing the experiment.  

They were amazed - it was precious :) Well worth my hands being greasy all day long! :) 

Like what you see?  Head over to TpT and grab a packet with these activities and more!
If you have already purchased it, go back and download again for the step by step directions. 

post signature

10 comments:

  1. Your Polar Bear activities look like so much fun! I love those little paws- adorable. And I will definitely be doing the blubber experiment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love this! I have been looking for something other than penguins! I am all "peguined" (is that even a word?) out! Can't wait to use it! The paws are adorable!
    :0)Cara

    Kindergarten Boom Boom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! My kids really enjoyed the polar bears this year!

      Delete
  3. Love the paws! So, so cute. Pinning it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...