Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Elf on the Shelf and a Behavior Incentive!

How exciting! It's December!  This is one of my favorite times of year in Kindergarten because of all the fun activities for Christmas.  We get to learn about Christmas all over the world and every activity and subject can be linked back to Christmas.  Remember the Christmas tree picture I posted the other day? It's just a mildly exciting time of year as well.  So, every now and again we need a little something extra to work for.  Intro my 2 behavior management techniques for December!

We received a special delivery from the North Pole today!  It was ice cold (out of the freezer shhhh!) and the students were beyond excited! Mailing Label can be found here!


What was inside you ask?

Meet Jolly Striped Socks aka Jolly :) 


We rolled dice from Jennifer Drake's elf unit to name our elf!  Note from Santa can be found here.


We got several choices and then we voted.


While we were at lunch, she escaped her box and perched at the top of our Christmas tree.  The kids were beyond excited when we returned!  Jolly and I had a heart to heart today when my friends weren't listening...they straightened right up.  No one wants Jolly to report them to Santa.  I'm loving this diva already!

The next thing we use as a behavior incentive is called the 12 Days of Christmas.  Basically, I send a note home asking parents to send in a class set of presents.  We're talking cheap here...bouncy balls, pencils, candy canes, small books, yo-yo's etc.  The parents send in the items pre-wrapped and we put them under the tree.


Each day we choose a present to work for.  If students keep their clip on green or better, at the end of the day they place a present in their bag.


These bags are from Michael's and they are $6.99 for a baker's dozen. I used a coupon plus they have a teacher discount.  I used scrapbook paper to diecut Christmas trees and added a label with their name at the bottom.  I have done this for 8 years and these bag seem to hold up the best and not tear on the day to take them home.

By the time 12 days is up, we have our party and we sit in a circle and open our presents. This is a great reflection time for students if they are missing a specific present.  Rarely do students miss a present because all it takes is once simple reminder that we are working for something specific. 

Because I love you guys so, I made a little editable pack for you!


Grab the pack and edit the letters and send them on home!  You could adjust this to use this year or save it for next.  Enjoy!

Don't forget, today is the last day of the Cyber Sale on Teachers Pay Teachers


You have 5 hours to grab everything at 28% off.  I hope you find something you can use! 



post signature

5 comments:

  1. So cute! Your kids surely are lucky! I love the 12 Days idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of putting the package I the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on Pinterest! It really excited the kids!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...